Course reflection



  Good course, thanks Dr. Aguilar. 


I found a few good nuggets to take away from this course.  One of them was the ethics discussions.  Every course that I have taken in my educational journey has stressed ethics.  This course in particular stressed the communication aspect of ethics. I liked that, it was a refreshing change to a topic that is stressed extremely high in the business and the management community.  I also liked the discussions on the topic of communicating across boundaries.  This is indeed a problem space in the management and corporate community.  This course helped me personally to understand the underlying problem and help me formulate ways that I as a project manager can help to facilitate change.  Specifically I can apply the tenets of bridging the communication gap by creating well documented communication plans for the projects that I manage.  One of the ways I am immediately using my new information is by holding weekly stakeholder meetings to communicate status.  The bottom line here is that it is of vital importance that the Project manager network his or her stakeholders and to use these communication meetings as a very informative tool without making them too lengthy so that they do not become in-effective, otherwise the essence of project communication becomes a disparate effort of silos of excellence.  That is not what I want.  The barriers are hard to break down but I am trying as hard as I can to be a thought leader in this area.  I have always advocated that project managers are not just managers, they have to be leaders and leadership is probably the single most important aspect of management whether it is project management, military management, corporate management or middle management. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stovepipes of Excellence